Friday, November 24, 2006

The Only Brush You'll Ever Need

I will admit I am no expert on brushing. Last year on my birthday I threw away all my brushes deciding life was just too short for that sort of thing (and so is my hair!).
Once when my Chow boy Peace was 10 years old I got the wild notion to brush him. I didn't really know what kind of brush to use and I was too embarrassed to ask his groomer, Lisa, in case she wondered what I had been using for the last 10 years, so that notion went with the wind, much like my boys hair.
I have started brushing the visiting dogs at my house though, and I kind of like it. It's either brush the dog or sweep the floor and brushing the dog lowers my blood pressure way more than sweeping.
One of the women at Nashville Pet Products in Bellevue tried to get me to buy this new brush called the FURminator. Well, the medium size one is like $40 and I am Scottish, need I say more?
I resisted the purchase until one day I realized that it had a 30 day money back guarantee. So, if I didn't love it I was taking it straight back.
Turns out I left it on a low shelf one day and my new puppy chewed the handle. I doubt that's covered in the money back guarantee. It didn't matter though, no way was I returning it!
This thing is incredible. At first it scared me a little. It looks a bit like a razor blade.
I would brush a dog ten strokes with what I thought was a good brush and then ten strokes with the FURminator. The difference was amazing. I got a nice little pile of hair with the brush I had thought was good, but the FURminator pile was twice as thick and had a line of dander at the edge.
Convinced that this new brush was actually cutting the hair off the dogs, I cleaned it and used it on myself.
Not a single hair came out, just that lovely line of dandruff! (Might not be a bad idea to market to people as well.)
So, this brush does a great job of removing hair AND allergy producing dander from dogs and cats.
And get this--- pets like this brush!
You know how when you are brushing a cat and trying not to get bloody in the process, you find the one place the cat likes to be brushed and repeat that spot in between brushing all the other spots the cat doesn't like? All the while ducking and weaving so you don't get bit or scratched.
You don't have that problem with the FURminator. I'm telling you, pets like it. They let you brush places "no one has ever gone before".
Tails used to be a huge problem. Nope, they like that now.
Legs are often a problem. Not anymore.
There is something about this FURminator that does the job and causes no pain.
You and your pets dream come true.
Shedding is one of the most annoying things about owning a pet and trying to maintain even the resemblance of cleanliness.
The fact that it removes the allergy producing dander is a great gift to those of us who score high on allergy tests.
I am often asked if I sell this brush or work for the company. No! (But I might if they asked.)
This is just one of the things that can make your life easier and help you enjoy your pet more.
Some other key things I have found to help with shedding are a good diet and supplements. A homemade diet designed by a veterinarian like Pitcairn or at least a human grade dog food that passes USDA inspection along with fresh fruit and vegetables daily.
Omega 3, 6 and 9's (Fish Oil, Flax Oil and Borage Oil) work wonders and frankly we all should be taking them whether we shed or not!

To link to the FURminator - www.furminator.com
For info on diet and supplements listen to my radio show "The Politics of Dogs"
www.radiofreenashville.org

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home